Friday, June 22, 2018

THE NEW YANKEE AT LARGE


Today begins a new era for this blog. After remaining silent for nearly half a decade, I’ve once again decided to return to writing a political and social blog.
I wish I could say I was refloating this blog because I simply have more time and want to return to journalism as “a hobby” after long years in the profession previously. But nothing could be further from the truth.
A Yankee At Large is being refloated out of my grave concern for what is currently happening in the world—the deterioration of democracy, the rise of authoritarian designs, and the parallel erosion of human and civil rights, in pace with the equally grave destruction of the environment.
In Spanish, there is a great expression: El que se calla, ortorga. It means, roughly, He who keeps silent, gives permission. (And by the way, in its new genesis, this blog will be published in both English and Spanish). I refuse to give my permission for any of these nefarious trends. For what it’s worth, I want to take a public stand, to make my voice heard, even if it’s only to a handful of readers. I want to be on the right side of history, and make it clear which side I consider that to be.
So I’ll be writing short editorials and longer research articles here, on a more or less regular basis, as well as sharing links to other articles, interviews, etc. that I feel are important for people to read in order to have a clearer view of the present, the past, and the possible future.
I just want to thank those of you who have continued to read my past essays and articles posted here. It is moving to me to read my traffic statistics and realize that even after such a long hiatus, I still have a loyal reader base.
You rock!

No comments: